According to the WHO, there were three hospitals – Al Ahli Hospital, Indonesian Hospital and Al Shifa – where several babies had already been saved. Image courtesy Reuters
The World Health Organization expressed sadness that the evacuation of patients deprived Palestinians of a lifeline, but it said Tuesday that three hospitals in Israel’s besieged northern Gaza region had requested help and that preparations were being made for this purpose.
In the Israel-Hamas conflict, hospitals were bombed. All hospitals in northern Gaza have virtually stopped functioning properly, while some patients who were unable to escape and displaced Gazans are still accommodated there.
“Currently, three hospitals in the north have requested evacuation; the key question is: where to go? WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told a news conference in Geneva that there was “no safe space” and that hospitals in the south were already overcrowded and experiencing shortages.
Israel-Hamas war: doctors forced to perform surgeries in Gaza without anesthesia, says WHO
Rapid decline in human shields leaves Hamas isolated and more exposed to Israeli strikes
He said hospital employees made the requests out of concern for their own lives.
“This means that the situation on the ground has become so dire that the only other alternative is to face what they believe to be certain death while hospitals are attacked…” he said.
“Taking away someone’s access to health care is like taking away their last option and their last shred of humanity. And that’s exactly what’s happening right now.
According to him, there were three hospitals – Al Ahli Hospital, Indonesian Hospital and Al Shifa – where several babies had already been saved.
He continued: “At this stage, we are only in the planning stage, without further details,” adding that extensive coordination with the conflicting parties was necessary to ensure that the convoy did not
(With contributions from the agency)