- Timothée Chalamet realizes a childhood dream by playing the main character of the film Wonkaand encourages others to follow their dreams.
- Wonka is a coming-of-age story that focuses on the origin of Willy Wonka, showing him as a young and inventive character striving to achieve his dreams.
- Chalamet, at 27, will bring a youthful energy to the role, as he is the youngest actor to play Willy Wonka compared to Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp.
Play the main character in Wonka fulfills a sort of childhood dream, according to the film’s star Timothée Chalamet. Directed by Paul King, Wonka tells the origin story of the titular chocolatier as he grows to create his chocolate empire. In addition to Chalamet, the film stars Olivia Colman, Hugh Grant, Sally Hawkins, Rowan Atkinson and Keegan-Michael Key. Wonka is scheduled to be released on December 15.
Chalamet talks about the utter joy he feels playing the candy maker. By VarietyChalamet spoke about his role at the Tokyo premiere of Wonkasaying his role would have completely shocked his 10-year-old self, who grew up watching “Johnny Depp’s version of Willy Wonka.” As a result, he encouraged the audience to “follow your dreams» just like the film would promote. Check out Chalamet’s full quote below:
Paul King has written a beautiful script here, about a young Willy Wonka who pursues his dreams. If you had told me when I was 12, when I was 10 watching the Johnny Depp version of Willy Wonka, I would be here in Tokyo promoting this film as Willy Wonka, standing next to Hugh Grant . , I would have told you that you were lying. So I guess like the movie, follow your dreams.
How will Timothée Chalamet compare to the previous two Wonkas?
Unlike 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the years 2005 Charlie and the chocolate factory, Wonka is a coming-of-age story of sorts, not for the bearers of the golden ticket, but for Willy Wonka himself. Showing Wonka in his formative years, the Wonka The trailer reveals Chalamet as a young Willy Wonka, inventive but chaotic as he strives to make his dreams come true. This sets the tone for Wonka apart from his predecessors, because instead of children enchanted by magic, Wonka is a young man enchanted by the idea of creating magic.
As such, Chalamet will be the youngest person to play the character, since the actor will be 27 years old when Wonka is released. Gene Wilder and Depp were 38 and 42 respectively when their Willy Wonka films were released. Their junior, Chalamet will bring a much younger energy to the role.
Even if Wonka is a very different take on the role, Chalamet will have huge shoes to fill in taking on the title character. Both Wilder and Depp were iconic in the role in their own right, providing interpretations of the character that were seductive (whether through Depps’ wisecracking enchantment or unnerving appeal). Chalamet’s version has a rare joviality that none of his predecessors had. The success of this representation remains to be considered Wonka is approaching its December release date.
- Release date:
- Paul King
- Sally Hawkins, Olivia Colman, Keegan-Michael Key, Rowan Atkinson, Timothee Chalamet, Jim Carter
- Family, Adventure, Comedy
- Paul King, Simon Farnaby
- Warner Bros. announced that the studio would release Wonka, a prequel film set in the years before the opening of Willy Wonka’s famous chocolate factory. It will follow the adventures of young Willy Wonka, a character from Roald Dahl’s 1964 book. Charlie and the chocolate factory. Willy Wonka has since been adapted into live-action, with Gene Wilder’s 1971 portrayal of the character being perhaps the most popular. For now, plot details for Wonka are relatively rare. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available. The film will be directed by Paul King.
- $125 million
- Warner Bros.
- Warner Bros.
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory